Mission: To Receive and Proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ for current and future parishioners.
The Evangelization Team formed in May of 2013. They met, explored and brain stormed potential activities to sponsor to further Evangelization at Assumption; they studied the National Conference of Catholic Bishops (NCCB) evangelization plan “Go and Make Disciples: A National Plan and Strategy for Catholic Evangelization in the United States”.
They concluded the following goals:
- Call each parishioner by name to a specific prayer role so each person feels needed and can train themselves in Evangelization and be more comfortable in proclaiming the Gospel, e.g. pray for Priests. – E team
- Invite outside Evangelization oriented speakers to church events, e.g. Soup Supper. -- Soup for the Soul ministry, Soup Supper, Mission Sunday; review specific recommendations with Fr. Jerry and/or Deacon Rick.
- Place the Evangelization Prayer in the bulletin and Misselettes.
- We need to provide education on existing Evangelization and Church information, history, sacraments, etc. in digital form such as apps and modern media (Facebook) to renew/develop faith among all parishioners, particularly the youth (Catholic Calendar, Instapray, 40 Day Spiritual Workout for Teens…..all are free!) -- E-Team, small paragraph in bulletin
- Foster a greater appreciation of cultural and ethnic spirituality; promote the idea that people can become affiliated with Assumption without becoming a member. Obtain new residence info. and provide “welcome wagon”. -- E-Team, multi-faceted
- We need to reemphasize prayer and prayer events at ALL parish activities including Chili Fest, Festival, Santa Breakfast and athletic events. -- Priest, Deacons, Chairs
- More accessibility of devotional readings; invite Louise Karas to promote Lighthouse CDs and implement in our parish. – E team
- Have the courage to look for and approach new members. Sit with someone you don’t know at Mass and at Coffee & Donuts. -- Everyone, encouraged at pulpit
- More use of educational information in our bulletins, “Did You Know?”, “Dear Padre”, “Why Do Catholics Do That”, columns.
- Our charter is to help ourselves and others “Receive and Proclaim the Gospel”
- Initiated the Lighthouse Kiosk program to supply books, brochures and CDs to our parishioners and guests on spiritual topics.
- Constructed a mobile base for the Lighthouse Kiosk so it could be easily moved to other locations to supplement other meetings and activities.
- We are submitting “Apps for Evangelization” to the bulletin to use our smart phones and Catholic based applications to receive the Gospel.
- We have encouraged opening prayers at our public events like our Summer Festival to welcome and share our faith.
- We have encouraged a welcome to visitors at the start of all our homilies at mass.
- We have published welcome cards with parish mass information that are used as handouts at public events and the Mt. Healthy Alliance Food Pantry.
- Looking Forward to 2016 Plans:
- Further develop the use and communication of our Lighthouse Kiosk
- Identify speakers on Evangelization to speak at Assumption events
- Assign prayer roles to homebound parishioners so they can participate with us through prayer.
- Work with parish ministries and organizations and our Parish Survey to contact parishioners who haven’t filled out the survey.
- Review city/county requirements and costs for a Parish sign that can welcome and announce key events.
- Tim Kinne
- Tom Eschmeyer
- Gary Walsh
- Patty Walsh
- Susi Dick
- Ann Gruenwald